Sunday, September 4, 2011

Appalachian Trail (Clingman's Dome) - 9/3/2011

While at Clingman's Dome Labor Day weekend, I FINALLY got to walk (a very small) portion of the AT.

To say I've been obsessed with the AT for the last year or so would be a gross understatement. I've read books, watched movies and documentaries, dreamed, schemed and plotted. The hard truth is that I will probably never be financially able to do a thru-hike. Bummer!
For Kristina and the boys, it was just another trail. Kristina knows of my obsession, and she was excited because of that. For me, though, it was invigorating. I imagined myself crossing that spot on my way to Maine.
We only walked about 100 yards on the trail, but it was the best 100 yard hike I've ever made. Okay, that's really hokey and silly. I guess it would be like test driving a BMW or Porsche. It's drives just like any other car, but it is NOT just like any other car.
There was another peak about a mile south on the AT and I contemplated hiking over there and back, but I knew Kristina wouldn't want to and it wouldn't have been fair to ask her to just sit and wait.
I'll get back to it. I'll do little sections now and then. As the boys get older and more able to do longer stretches and more difficult trails, we'll do more. In the meantime, to all those who do get to hike the AT from GA to ME (or the other way around), hike a mile for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment