Friday, October 7, 2011

Hiking with Children

Hiking is great! It's outside. It promotes health. It provides adventure in our often otherwise boring lives. It gives us confidence that leaks into other areas of our lives. The list could go on and on.

This great adventure is something I want to give my kids. This blog is about my adventures with Conner (BC) and Elijah (Dubya). Hiking with my kids provides us with solid family time apart from the distractions of life at home: tv, computer, video games, bills, housework, etc. I won't say it doesn't have it's downsides as well when compared to hiking alone or with other adults. But the greater good is served by spending time with my kids in the woods.



One of my favorite memories from my childhood is when we took an impromptu hike from Clingmans Dome to Deep Creek Campground on the Nolan Divide Trail. The full story is told here. With six kids, a full time job, serving in the church, and going to Bible college to become a pastor, my dad didn't have a lot of free time. That trip is the only time I ever remember us going hiking as a family. It's a precious memory and something we still laugh about when we get together.

I want my kids to have a head and heart full of those memories. I want them to not be afraid of the woods when it's dark. I want them to respect but not be knee-shaking afraid of wildlife. I want them to see this beautiful world with their own eyes, not just pictures in a book or a program on tv. I want them to be able to survive if they get lost in the woods or breakdown on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere. I want them to tell their kids about that time on a trail miles from nowhere when... (story not written yet).

And because of that desire, I am willing to do the extra work required. I am willing to take the extra precautions. I am willing to lead, teach, encourage, comfort, console, and bandage them as needed in order to give them that experience in life.

Hiking with kids is hard work... But worth every ounce of effort required.

Perhaps you are thinking the same thing, but don't know how to start. This is Part One of my Hiking with Children. Read on... Then surgically removed the controller from their hands, if necessary, and get out in the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment